Sunday 28 August 2016

AK Balloon Run 2016



  • 28 August 2016
  • Main Entrance @Avenue K, Kuala Lumpur   
  • Flagged off at:-
           7.30a.m. for 7km
7.40a.m. for 5km
  • Price – RM58.30 (inclusive of admin fee of RM3.30)
  • Race Pack –Pink t-shirt, drawstring bag and registration bib
  • Goodies – Medal, 4 balloons, vouchers

I decided to join this run as the venue of this run is very near to my home and I will be running in front of my home. How’s that!!! Best thing is you will be running with balloons and toilets are easily accessible anywhere.

I walked to the venue at 6.40a.m and went straight to the redemption counter to collect the balloons. Each runner was given 4 balloons. The rule was simple, run with the balloons and you must complete the run with 4 balloons, otherwise there is a penalty. For example, you finish your run in 1 hour and if you pop 1 balloon, 10 seconds penalty will be added to your finishing time, i.e. 1 hour 10 seconds.

I tied the 4 balloons to my waist and it was sticking out at my buttocks. After collection of balloons, we were asked to go to the starting line, given a pink ribbon (which I put it around my neck) and were asked to do simple exercises as a warm-up. There were so-called celebrities as emcees and leading the warm-ups but have to say, I don’t know them at all and they didn’t appeal to me.        
Check out the balloons at my buttocks


We were flagged off early at 7.25am. OMG, it was difficult to run with stupid balloons right at your back as you need to be gentle not to pop any of them. Some runners decided to throw the balloons on the road and into the dustbins nearby.

It was very nice weather and the run was very pleasant, running in the city along Jalan Ampang, Jalan Sultan Ismail, running to the clubbing area, i.e. Beach Club and out to Pavillion Mall, passing by Pullman KLCC, high-end condominiums along Jalan Stonor and Jalan Binjai, e.g. Troika and Corinthian, and back to Jalan Ampang again. 


Route map
Reached my home

There was only 1 water station in front of Pavillion Mall. The organiser served mineral water. We were given another pink ribbon (which I put around my neck with the 1st ribbon) in front of 1A Stonor condominium. What are the 2 ribbons for? I don’t know…….

Upon arrival, we were given a bottle of mineral water and medal. I managed to finish the 6.5km run (according to Rinnie’s app) in just less than 50 minutes. Guess what? Our numbers were recorded by several marshals along the run and recorded again when we finished. We were not informed of any penalties for not having 4 balloons and not informed of the reason for having the 2 pink ribbons. Hmmmmmm………….defeating the purpose of running with balloons!

There were cash prizes and vouchers to be won for each category. There were games sessions, e.g. questions and answers to win vouchers and lucky draw, which we couldn’t be bothered to participate in. Instead, we were playing with the “recording live” on Facebook and snapping pictures with more balloons and the KLCC Twin towers. Upon completion, most runners just dumped their balloons on the street of Jalan Ampang and I saw some people popping them. The organisers will have had a tough time clearing Jalan Ampang before the road opened again.   


Check out the pictures below:-

Our balloons


Showing off our medals
Pink medals

I didn't pop my balloons

More balloons


Our medal in front of KLCC

No comments:

Post a Comment