Saturday 16 April 2016

Aerial Xmas Performance - 20 December 2015

We were in our usual Master Class on Wednesday evening and our instructor, Miko came along and asked us, “Who is free on 20 December 2015 for a Xmas party cum performance?” We have 7 in the class; Mai, Sun Wei, Sheila, Cynthia, Squido, Jennifer and me of course. All of us were around except for Jennifer, who had already booked her flight back to London.

Miko said she will split the 6 of us to 2 groups and each group will have to choreograph and perform a hoop and silk routine. As Miko will be in Hong Kong competing in pole, she said to start off with the silk routine and send her the video and thereafter to work on the hoop routine. After our Master class, she decided to split us up:-

1st group for Hoop                                       
1. Mai
2. Cynthia
3. Sun Wei
2nd group for Hoop
1. Squido
2. Sheila
3. Me
1st group for Silk                                          
1. Squido
2. Cynthia
3. Sun Wei
2nd group for Silk
1. Mai
2. Sheila
3. Me


Mai decided to create a Whatapps group to share our choice of music, videos and views and the same goes for hoop, where Sheila also created a group on Whatsapps.

As for the hoop routine, my group chose the song “Sail” by Awolnation. I must say a good choice and good piece of music as it has been smooth sailing for my group. As instructed by Miko, we just needed to change the choreography a bit and get our costumes (from a website in China but they deliver pretty fast). At first, we wanted to dress up like “Sailormoon” but the costumes for Sailormoon were quite expensive as they are used for Cosplay. We decided on something cheaper and we wanted the colour blue. The whole attire only cost us RM50.00.

As for the silk routine, my group chose the song “Revolt” by Nathan Lanier, an upbeat fast instrumental piece. We went through lots of hurdles for this routine as we had to constantly change our choreography in order to save our energy and stamina (as suggested by Miko) and do not put too many tricks in 1 combo. I must say most of the time; the 3 of us, during practises, we were unable to finish the routine.

4 days before the actual performance, which is also the last time Miko gets to comment on our routine, the 3 of us failed miserably and this routine was falling apart. Miko just watched us with her glaring eyes (luckily didn’t scold us “kow kow”) and the 3 of us knew we had to do something with this routine and bring everything into place again! We were just speechless with our performance! So, we decided to go back to the studio on a Friday evening to do it again.

Friday evening came – YES WE DID IT- WE DID IT. Although it was not perfect, all of us managed to finish the routine. I said let’s not do it again. If we were to do it the 2nd time (like we always did previously), it’s just going to be a disappointment. We watched the video that we recorded ourselves, tried to remember to correct ourselves and went home feeling satisfied.

On the day of the performance, I had to teach ballet in the morning and thereafter rush home to do my make-up. Once I’m done with my make-up, I went and checked to see whether I have all my costumes ready for the performance. I took my top for hoop routine and tried to tighten the buckle as I decided not to sew it the day before, thinking that it’s alright, the buckle will not be loose or removed. I asked my husband for help to tighten the buckle and SUDDENLY, the buckle snapped! I went SHIT, What did you do??????? My husband said you asked me to tighten it and I did and with a little bit of push and force, it snapped. I was like, THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!!

I quickly took out my sewing kit and started sewing the remaining buckle to the bra top and it took me 10 minutes to get the strap secured again. Then, off I went to Viva.

As I arrived at Viva, I saw lots of food and I was asked to eat. Unfortunately, I had to decline as no food for me before performance. I have to admit that I did steal a few salmon crackers on the plate as it was too tasty not to indulge. Luckily I had Anne Chang to take some food and cake and asked me to try a bit before it all finished. Thanks Anne.

So, 1st performance, hoop routine – PHEW!! All went well……   
Please see the video below:-


After the hoop routine, we were getting ready for the 2nd performance, silk routine. Mai and myself walked here and there and decided to hold each other hands, just to find out that both our hands were pretty cold and Sheila was at the food counter, non-stop eating. Mai and myself were like…… “We can do it!!”

So, 2nd performance, silk routine – IT WENT WELL. HOORAY……. 
Please see the video below:-



We have gone through a lot of trial and error and no matter what, we managed to talk it out, work it out and perform as a team. I’m glad to be able to work with these girls and it does make our bonding stronger as well as getting to know each of your team mates well. Kudos to everyone who put the show together, especially my team mates, for a brilliant show and hope to work again for our future performances.  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment