Thursday 1 October 2015

Malaysian Passport Renewals 2015

Normally I aim to reach the immigration before 7 a.m. to join the queue. My parents, daughter and myself arrived few minutes before 7.30am. Surprisingly there were not many people queuing up. The doors were open at 7.30a.m. and all of us rushed in to get a number. My dad and myself need to renew our passports and my daughter needs to insert her latest picture on her passport. The requirements for renewal, you need to bring along your current/expired passport and NRIC and as for insertion of a latest photo of a toddler, you need to bring two (2) passport photos and fill up a form (provided at the counter).



Once you have filled up the form, then a number will be given. If you are taking the passport photo from a studio, you need to ensure that it’s taken with a white background and your toddler’s ears and forehead must be seen. Also, ensure that your toddler is wearing a dark outfit. My dad managed to get number 1, daughter number 2 and myself number 3 and we were asked to go to “Kaunter Khas”, i.e. a counter for senior citizens, children below 2 years of age and pregnant woman. Your number will be called and you proceed to the counter.

The officers will ask you for your latest address and telephone number to be keyed into their system and take your thumb print. After that, you were asked to look into the camera and your photo to be taken. Again, forehead and ears must be seen in the photo. If you are wearing bright colours or design shirts, you are requested to put on the black jacket provided at each counter. Once your picture is taken, the officer will print out the form for you to verify and sign. As for insertion of new toddler photo, your toddler will need to thumb print.

The camera


My daughter was crying the whole time and refused to thumb print and I had to force it on her. After all the verification, go back to your seat and your number will be called again to make payment. Payment of RM200 for a 5 years passport and RM100 for senior citizens and free of charge for the insertion of a new toddler photo.

Passport will be ready in 1 hour, which in fact, it took them less than an hour. So make sure to wait for them to call your number and don’t go anywhere. So my time spent at the immigration, only 1 ½ hours from 7.30am – 9.00am. Super-fast working officers at this Wangsa Maju branch. I will only renew my passport at this branch.

For more info, please visit:
http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main-services/pasport/malaysian-international-passport

The contact details of the Immigration Department, Wangsa Maju:
Aras 1, Wisma Rampai
53300 Kuala Lumpur
Telephone : 03-4142 3449
Fax : 03-4142 3578


No comments:

Post a Comment